There can be all kinds of reasons why you might need to delete apps on Apple TV. Maybe your Apple TV home screen seems to be completely cluttered with all the apps added on Apple TV, and you want to customize the home screen from scratch by removing all redundant apps. Maybe your Apple TV has become too slow and you want to erase all the unnecessary apps and Apple TV games you no longer play to free up valuable space. Whatever the reason, here’s how to delete apps on Apple TV.
Uninstall Apps on Apple TV (2022)
Keep in mind that deleting an app also deletes all associated data. Also note that the removed app will also be removed from all other Apple TVs that use your iCloud Home screen setup. Although you can redownload any app you purchased from the App Store for free, your data may not be restored.
Delete Apps on Apple TV Using Second Generation Siri Remote
- To get started, select the app you want to remove.
- Now, press and hold the center of the clickpad until the app starts shaking. Then press the Play/pause button to access more options.
- Then click on Wipe off and confirm.
Uninstall Apps on Apple TV Using First Generation Siri Remote
Removing an Apple TV app with the first-generation Siri Remote is just as easy.
- First, go to the app you want to get rid of and select it.
- Now, press and hold the touch surface on the first generation Siri Remote until the app enters jiggle mode.
- Then hold down the play/pause button to reveal more options.
- Finally, click Wipe off and confirm the action.
Delete Apps on Apple TV from Settings
Just like iOS and iPadOS, tvOS also offers a way to delete apps on Apple TV from the Settings app. When you’re on the hunt for the most storage-intensive apps and deleting them, this can come in really handy. Probably the best part about this method is that it lists apps based on how much storage each has consumed. Therefore, finding those who have eaten more space is not a big problem.
- To get started, run the Settings app on your Apple TV.
- Then click on Manage storage space.
- On this screen, you should see a long list of apps listed according to the total amount of space they have consumed. Now click on the remove button right next to a specific app and confirm the removal.
Delete a folder on Apple TV
If you no longer want to keep a folder on your home screen, you can also get rid of it.
- Go to an app in the folder you want to delete.
- Now, press and hold the center of the touchpad/touch surface on the Siri Remote to enter edit mode (jiggle mode).
- Press the play/pause button and, in the options that appear, click on “Move to home screen”.
- Repeat the above steps for each app in the folder. When all apps are removed, the folder will be automatically deleted.
Uninstall apps from multiple Apple TVs at once
On Apple TV 4e or 4K models, you can configure your TVs (associated with the same Apple ID) to remove apps from all devices at once. To take advantage of this feature, you need to enable the One Home Screen feature which ensures that all your Apple TVs have the same apps, laid out in the same way on the home screen.
- Open the Settings app on your Apple TV and choose Users and Accounts.
- Now choose your user account.
- Then make sure the A welcome screen option is enabled.
Now you can remove apps from any TV connected to your Apple ID and the apps will be removed from all your Apple TVs.
Delete unnecessary apps on Apple TV to free up space
So it’s all about removing and managing apps on tvOS. Apple offers the control you want over apps on Apple TV and also lets you customize the home screen to your liking. And if you have multiple Apple TVs, the One Home Screen feature makes the task of managing apps even more convenient. If you have any questions about removing apps from Apple TV, let us know in the comments below.